The Environment is at risk from irresponsible development, excessive tree clearing and site alteration and many other stressors. Peter’s proposed solutions include:
Century Plan for the Environment
- Recruit team of environmental scientists, academics, citizen members, as well as any interested representatives from the District of Muskoka and the Province
- Identify key ecosystems to monitor and the underlying indicators of health for each
- Determine testing protocols, establish baselines
- Develop composite scoring system to identify trends
- Prescribe remedial action now for implementation should monitored ecosystems show deterioration Engage community participation in annual monitoring
- Ensure that when adopted, the Official Plan and the Site Alteration and Tree Conservation Bylaws contain the environmental protection enhancements present in the current drafts.
Review Site Plan Agreement Approval Process
- Revisit Site Plan Agreement process to reinstate Council as the approval authority on waterfront and other environmentally-sensitive properties. This will likely require collaboration with the Province to address recent legislative changes.
Return to Action Plan >